You will want to keep your chin up to look and feel confident. But many people, especially in advanced years and those who have excess fat, have a double chin. A double chin doesn’t indicate poor health necessarily. But it can still affect social life and self-esteem negatively. It may make you look bad. A double chin is a common condition. It is a layer of excess fat underneath the chin. With time, as the layer becomes substantial, it creates a wrinkle, which gives the appearance of an extra chin.
You are in luck if you are thinking about how to lose your double chin. There are many ways in which you can get rid of a double chin without surgery.
But before we take a look at how to get rid of a double chin fast, let us first find out the causes of a double chin.
Also called submental fat, this is an extra layer of the chin that gets formed due to the accumulation of body fat. Yes, it is frequently associated with weight gain, but there can be other reasons too.
- Excess fat – This is the most common cause. As we gain weight, fat gets deposited throughout the body, even on our face and the chin area. It is easier for the face to show this accumulation for some body types. For example, extra weight in the belly or the hips may get unnoticed if you have a bigger frame. You may be able to conceal the weight by wearing plus-size clothing. But it is impossible to hide a double chin.
- Aging skin – The human body starts making less collagen in the mid-20s. The skin begins to lose its elasticity and starts to sag as a result. You may have a double chin when the skin below your jaw sags. It will look like you have excess fat, even though that is clearly not the case. Many people ask, why do I have a double chin, even though I am not overweight? This is the reason. It gets worse the more collagen we lose. Sun exposure, poor diet, and smoking can also deteriorate skin quality, leading to a double chin.
- Poor posture – Using the laptop or smartphone for long hours is also one of the most common double chin causes. When we use these devices, we may be craning our necks and this posture can be worsening the problem. It can cause neck pain. It will also harm your platysma muscle that connects the chin to the neck. With time, this muscle will weaken. Reduced elasticity around your jowls will cause the same sagging effect.
- Facial structure – However, there are some factors that are not in our control. Like, the shape of the face, for example. Those having a weak jawline or a recessive chin have a higher risk of developing a double chin. Their skin will be stretched over a smaller area. It gets drawn over their faceless tightly, and thus, just a small fat increase and reduction on the skin elasticity can cause the problem. This is a major reason why even some slim people show double chins.
- Genetics – Is a double chin genetic? It can very well be, even though, no specific gene has been found for this. However, a few traits can put you at a higher risk. For example, bone structure. Those with a family history of stubborn fat are also more likely to have it.
There are various double chin treatment options that can help. The first is, of course by losing weight, especially for those who are obese. You will find many non-surgical treatment options as well. However, you should select from the many double chin procedures carefully because not every treatment may suit you. Factors to consider include the current condition of your skin, how much it has sagged, and the condition of your tissues. Those who are younger and have better skin elasticity have more options.
Fat Dissolving Injections
Kybella is an injectable medication that can help you eliminate unwanted fat from below the skin. This is the first non-surgical double chin reducer method that was FDA approved. These facial slimming injections use deoxycholic acid, which is a bile acid found normally within the body. When injected through the treatment, it improves fat absorption. The destroyed fat cells are removed from the body through the natural metabolic process. The other tissues and cells in the body remain untouched. Kybella also prevents future fat absorption.
What to Expect: This is a safe and quick process to remove fat. Each session will take around 15 to 20 minutes. Follow-up treatments are usually required. The provider will select many injection sites, depending on the target area.
Best For: It is best for those with excess fat below the chin and for those where alternative treatments, such as liposuction have been ruled out. It can also reduce belly fat.
Age: Anyone above 18 years of age with moderate to severe fat below the chin can opt for this treatment.
Side Effects: The common side effects include redness, swelling, firmness, and pain at the site of the injection. They are usually minor incidents that go away quickly.
Pros and Cons: This injectable treatment is fantastic. It is FDA approved. There is no downtime and only a few minor side effects.
You can also treat double chin with TruSculpt iD. It uses radiofrequency energy and destroys the fat cells. It can reduce the fat in the targeted area by as much as 24%, which makes it one of the best ways to get rid of a double chin. You will also lose inches from your waistline and get a better-contoured body.
What to Expect: You can get TruSculpt iD in NYC and in other places around the world. The radiofrequency energy will heat the fat and destroy the fatty cells, which are then removed from the body naturally. It will feel like you are getting a warm hot stone massage. Your daily life will not be interrupted.
Best For: This double chin procedure is best for targeted specific areas without losing skin elasticity. It can also be done on the arms, flanks, thighs, and abdomen.
Age: This is a good double chin contour procedure for women and men above 25. You need to be in good health and want to lose stubborn fatty deposits. It works best for those who are close to their ideal body weight.
Side Effects: There is no significant side effect. However, there can be some mild tenderness, sweating, and redness, which will go away in a few hours.
Pros and Cons: This is a painless and quick weight-loss procedure to remove a double chin. It can target other body parts as well. There are no cons, except for some minor side effects.
Also called Cryolypolysis, it works by cooling the skin and the tissues below it. This minimally invasive process is effective because the fatty cells are sensitive to cool temperatures. It has been approved by the FDA to reduce double chin.
What to Expect: A device will freeze the area and its fatty cells to destroy them. Each treatment session will take around 45 minutes when it is treating only the submental region. It may take longer for treating more body areas. Expect an intense pulling sensation and cold when the device is applied.
Best For: It is best for removing isolated fat pockets. CoolSculpting works for double chin removal, saddlebags, muffin tops, and love handles.
Age: It is effective and safe for patients of all ages.
Side Effects: There can be some slight bruising, redness, and swelling.
Pros and Cons: This procedure is similar to the Kybella injections. It has been approved by the FDA for smaller treatment areas, like the chin. CoolMini is a new device that works best for the chin. The process is non-surgical. There is virtually nothing negative.
There are several facial massage techniques too that can dissolve fat and help you lose weight.
Asahi Technique – This is a Japanese massage. Keep your palm below the chin and hold the position. Repeat two to three times. You can also tighten the skin and muscles by placing the index and middle fingers of both hands at the center of your chin. Now draw the fingers around your lips.
Gua Sha for double chin – This technique is from Southeast and Eastern Asia. A lubricating ointment is applied to tools like rose quartz, ox horn, or jade. You have to use these tools to scrap your skin repeatedly in one direction. The application of light pressure will release muscular and facial tension and move the lymph fluid, which will tone your face. It will also promote blood circulation.
Sculptural Face Lifting Massage – This anti-gravity massage is very effective for the aging skin of the neck and face. An expert will be able to sculpt almost every muscle on your face. It is particularly effective for the sculptural lines in your eyebrow, cheekbone, and jaw.
What to Expect: Do not expect overnight results. You have to keep doing them to see good results.
Best For: These facial massage techniques are good for everyone.
Side Effects: There are no negative side effects.
You can get rid of a double chin naturally by eating the right food and losing weight. Eat lean proteins, healthy fats, and low-fat dairy products. It is best to avoid processed foods. Opt for whole grains instead of refined grains.
We all know why exercise is good for us. Even the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have recommended a physical activity routine to stay healthy. Go for a run or a jog in the morning or late evening. You can also join a gym or a swimming class. Dancing is also good. There are also exercises to get rid of double chin like facial yoga for double chin removal, forehead stretch, eye massage, and cheek and chin pull-ups. The 30-day double chin workout routine is particularly effective.
You can certainly remove the chin fat to get rid of a double chin. There are many exercises, massage techniques, and non-invasive procedures.